Skip to main content

Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs)

Information about Education Health and Care Plans.

What is an Education, Health and Care Plan? 

An Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is for children and young people aged 0-25 who need more support than is available through a Graduated Response.

Very few children and young people will need this very high level of support to meet their needs.  

EHCPs identify the child or young person’s educational, health and social care needs and set out the additional support to meet these.  This will mean that for most children and young people their needs can be met in their current early years setting, school or college.  

What is included in an EHC Plan?

EHCPs include: 

  • the views, interests and aspirations of the child or young person and their parents/carers  
  • a description of the child or young person’s Special Educational Needs  
  • desired outcomes 
  • special education, health and social care needs of the child or young person 
  • special education, health and social care provision to be put in place 
  • the name and type of school or setting  
  • details of any agreed personal budget  
  • from Year 9 onwards the EHCP must include outcomes and provision required by the young person to assist in preparing for adulthood such as support for finding training, employment, housing or participation in society.

When is an EHCP issued?

An EHCP can only be issued after a child or young person has had an Education, Health & Care needs assessment (sometimes called a statutory assessment). 


Find out how to request an assessment for an EHCP

When does an EHCP end?

An EHCP will end:


  • at the end of the academic year in which the young person turns 25 
  • when the young person leaves education for full time employment 
  • when the outcomes in the EHCP have all been met  
  • if the child or young person leaves the country 

What happens when an EHCP ends?

When a parent/carer or the young person is advised that the EHCP is going to cease they will be informed of:  

  • the support available from SENDiass
  • the availability of local disagreement resolution services  
  • the right to appeal and the time limits for doing so 
  • the requirement to consider mediation if an appeal is made

What happens if a young person starts Higher Education?

EHCPs can continue into Further Education but come to an end if a young person enters Higher Education. The transition to Higher Education should be planned to make it as smooth as possible and a copy of the EHCP passed to the relevant person at the institution, once the place has been confirmed and consent has been given by the student to do so.


DSA (Disabled Students Allowance) is available to help students with extra costs incurred on their course because of a disability.  We’ll continue to deliver the special educational provision outlined in the plan up until the child or young person reaches 25 if they stay in education or training.