Skip to main content

Where will my child or young person with SEND go to school?

All schools are required to be inclusive and most children and young people with SEN attend a mainstream school. 

Sometimes a special school or specialist resourced provision might be the best option for your child. You can talk about this with the people supporting your child. Children and young people can only attend one of these settings if they have a very high level of SEN and have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

The State Special schools in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole are:

We place children in local special schools and work with neighbouring authorities, to make sure children and young people are educated in a provision that's both appropriate for their needs and within their wider communities where possible.

Section 41 list

The government provides a list of specialist independent schools across the country that are approved by the Secretary of State. This is known as the Section 41 list. All  children and young people attending these settings have an EHC plan.