Having and making new friends is important to everyone. For young people who have special needs making friends can be a difficult and complicated process. It is very important that young people with special needs are able to make and meet up with friends. Sometimes they will be able to do this independently and sometimes they may need help.
- Friends can do things together
- Friends can talk about things that are important to them
- Friends can help each other
- They get nervous around new people
- They don’t know what new people might say or do
- They worry about what people might think about them
- They worry that they wont understand them
Some people have lots of friends and some have just a few, some people see their friends every day and some do not see them very often.
On this page there are links to local groups and useful websites.
A good way to make friends is to join a group or visit places where other young people can be found. There are links to local youth groups below.