Bikeability Cycle Training - Summer 2020
Cycle training for children aged 10 and over to help build the skills and confidence to ride a bike safely on the road.
Bikeabilty training returns
We are now able to offer our Summer Holiday Kings Park programme, for Level 1 & 2 courses and also Level 3 courses. These will be provided in line with current Government Covid-19 guidance and the Bikeability Trust's updated Bikeability Guidance, which has meant a reduction in course ratios, social distancing rules and additional PPE and sanitisation provisions.
Please note we are having very high booking requests, so please provide as many alternative dates and times as possible in order to avoid disappointment.
Bikeability is today's national cycle training scheme. It's like cycling proficiency, but better. It's about gaining practical skills and understanding how to cycle on today's roads. There are three Bikeability levels, each designed to improve cycling skills.
Level 1 and 2 Bikeability Course (2 day course)
This course is a combined Level 1 & 2 course and children must attend both days.
Level 1 focuses on the skills necessary to be able to control a bike. The training takes place in a secure environment away from cars and traffic. We will check helmets are correctly fitted and the bikes are roadworthy. Training will include the use of gears, riding whilst signalling, emergency stops and negotiating obstacles, looking all around you, including behind. Although this is a two day course, encompassing both Level 1 and Level 2, children must pass Level 1 before being able to progress onto Level 2.
Level 2 is delivered on local, residential roads. It gives riders a real cycling experience that equips them with skills to deal with traffic on short local journeys, such as cycling to school or the local shops. Level 2 will encourage and develop safe cycling skills, develop positive attitudes towards road use, increase knowledge and understanding of the road and traffic environment and give riders the confidence to use their bicycles on local road. Riders will learn how to:-
- start and finish a journey
- pass side roads and parked vehicles
- make left, right and U turns
- understand where to position yourself when riding on the road
- to be aware of everything around them whilst riding
- to explain decisions made during cycling and thereby demonstrate understanding of a safe cycling strategy
Children who have successfully completed Level 1 and 2 and are already an experienced and confident cyclist can progress to our Level 3 course.
This Level 1 & 2 two day course takes a total of 7 hours from 09:00-12:30 or 13:00-16:30 on day one, 09:00-12:30 or 13:00-16:30 on day two. To complete the course, children must attend both dates
Kings Park Cycle Centre
Kings Park Drive
- BH7 7AF
- 01202 454636
- See Journey Planner on right-hand side of this page, where you can view bus, car and train routes from your location.
- Area coverage
Times, Age & Costs
- Times Available:
- July - 23, 24, 27, 28, 30, 31.
August - 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28.
9:00am - 12:30pm and 1:00pm - 4:30pm.
- Further Opening Details:
To complete the course
children must attend both dates.
- School Holiday Only
- From 10 years to 16 years .
- This Is A Free Activity.
- Booking Information:
- Booking is required. We will work through bookings as quickly as possible but we may not be able to accommodate everyone's requests. Further weekend and autumn course dates will follow soon. Please ensure that you child can definitely attend the course you request, we have such high demand we are unable to accommodate requests to move children to other courses.
Cultural & Additional Needs
- Cultural Provision:
- No particuar religious ethos.
- Referral Criteria:
- Self Referral
- Languages Spoken:
- Are your staff DBS Approved?
- Do you have a First Aid Policy?
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance?
- Recognised As (Scheme):
- Free Activity