Bikeability - BCP Short Breaks
This two day course is a combined Level 1 & 2 course and children must attend both days.
Level 1 focuses on the skills necessary to be able to control a bike. The training takes place in a secure environment away from cars and traffic. We will check helmets are correctly fitted and the bikes are roadworthy. Training will include the use of gears, riding whilst signalling, emergency stops and negotiating obstacles, looking all around you, including behind. Although this is a two day course, encompassing both Level 1 and Level 2, children must pass Level 1 before being able to progress onto Level 2.
Level 2 is delivered on local, residential roads. It gives riders a real cycling experience that equips them with skills to deal with traffic on short local journeys, such as cycling to school or the local shops. Level 2 will encourage and develop safe cycling skills, develop positive attitudes towards road use, increase knowledge and understanding of the road and traffic environment and give riders the confidence to use their bicycles on local roads. Riders will learn how to:
- • Start and finish a journey.
- • Pass side roads and parked vehicles.
- • Make left, right and U turns
- . • Understand where to position yourself when riding on the road.
- • To be aware of everything around them whilst riding.
- • To explain decisions made during cycling and thereby demonstrate understanding of a safe cycling strategy.
In order to complete a Level 1 & 2 course, children must be:
- • Aged between 9 and 16 years old.
- • Able to ride a bike one handed in order to indicate and look over their shoulder (this will form part of the training so if they are not confident we will help them to hopefully achieve this).
- • Have their own bike and helmet and have permission from a parent or carer to take part.
- • Live or go to school in the Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole area.
Venue to be confirmed.
- BH2 5AA
- 01202 714700
- 01202 123229 (Angela Bowran) - During Holidays Only
- Area coverage
Times, Age & Costs
- Times Available:
- Thursday 12 and Friday 13 August 2021,
Session 1 from 9:30am to 12:30pm. Session 2 from 1pm to 4:30pm.
School Holiday Only
Weekday All Day
- From 0 years to 99 years .
- This is a free activity.
- Booking Information:
- Booking is required.
- SEN and Disabilities Service Description
The BCP Council Short Breaks scheme provides activities for children and young people with special educational needs/disabilities, in a supportive and fun environment.
All sessions are supported by a high ratio of experienced and friendly staff who will ensure children and young people are happy and safe, so that parents can take time out in confidence. Children and young people are able to try out new things, have fun and make new friends.
- Are your staff DBS Approved?
- Do you have a First Aid Policy?
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance?
- Recognised As (Scheme):