Young Carers Service - BCP Council
A Young Carer is defined as 'a person under 18 who provides or intends to provide care for another person (of any age, except where that care is provided for payment or voluntary work)'
Many families share tasks and support within their homes. Young Carers are those children and young people who have a wider responsibility within the family than their peers, because of the needs of the person being cared for.
The BCP Council Young Carers Service has the following criteria. A BCP young carer must:
- be resident in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole
- be between 5 and 18 years of age
- have a caring role for a significant adult or sibling in their family and the significant adult or sibling has a chronic illness, either mental or physical and/or a disability (including sensory loss). This will also include drug and alcohol misuse
- be in a situation where there is no other significant adult in the home providing the main caring role, or undertake tasks for siblings, either because a parent is unable to do so due to their ill health or as respite for a parent who has a disabled child
- undertake care and tasks for this significant adult or sibling. The tasks should be over and above what would normally be expected of a young person, e.g. helping the parent with their personal care, getting them up in the morning, getting them washed, dressed, looking after siblings, helping with medication
- the role of caring may be impacting on the young person's emotional and/or physical health, education or social development.
- For details of support available for young carers in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, please see our information page.
- 01202 123334
- Area coverage
Times, Age & Costs
- All Year Round
- From 5 years to 18 years .
- This service is free
Cultural & Additional Needs
- Referral Procedure:
- BCP Council Officer requests for Young Carer support and assessment (i.e. from Social Workers or Early Help Workers) to be sent to the BCP Council Young Carers Single Point of Contact, Jeanette Yorke via firstname.lastname@example.org All other referrals to be made via the Children's Services First Response Hub
- SEN and Disabilities Service Description
The Young Carers offer in BCP Council aims to provide inclusion for all regardless of culture, gender or disability etc. We recognise how important the role of a Young Carer is, and how difficult that role can be.
The Young Carers Team offer a variety of services to Young Carers with SEND including group support and also signposting to appropriate services.
- Are your staff DBS Approved?
- Do you have Public Liability Insurance?