Child Health and Disabilities Team (CHAD) - BCP Council
The Child Health and Disability Team (CHAD) are a specialist team of Social Workers and Family Support Practitioners whose core purpose is to provide a service to children with disabilities (from 0 to 18 years) and their families.
A child or young person is disabled if ‘they have a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities' (the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1995) and are lifelong life limiting.
The Child Health and Disabilities Team (CHAD) offers specialist support to children when there is a combination of factors related to a disability or health condition, the family's ability to cope and the resources available to the family. Our priority aim is to ensure the child develops to their full potential and is free from harm, neglect and abuse.
Most of the children we work with have multiple disabilities and health conditions that result in them having exceptional care needs.
The team can help in a range of ways depending upon the individual family circumstances identified in the assessment. These may include:-
- co-ordination of a multi-agency plan to support the child and family
- support with behaviour management
- referrals to other specialist services for support
- access to sessional workers
- provision of Direct Payments to purchase additional care and support
- day care or overnight breaks for disabled children
How do families access our service? Families can request an assessment of their situation via the Children's First Response Hub. Following assessment, if a case does not meet criteria for the team, advice will be provided to access appropriate/recommended services, such as:
79 Landsdowne Road
- BH1 1RP
- 01202 126222
- See Journey Planner on right-hand side of this page, where you can view bus, car and train routes from your location.
- Area coverage
Times, Age & Costs
- Times Available:
- Monday to Thursday 8:30am to 5.15pm. Friday 8:30am to 4.45pm.
- All Year Round
- From 0 years to 18 years .
- This service is free.
Cultural & Additional Needs
- Special Provisions:
Profound & Multiple Learning Difficulty
Global Development Delay
Speech, Language & Communication Needs
- Referral Procedure:
- In the first instance, contact the Children's First Response Hub on 01202 123 334 for a social care assessment
- SEN and Disabilities Service Description
The Child Health and Disabilities Team are a specialist team whose core purpose is to provide a service to children with disabilities and their families.