Skip to main content

Elective Home Education (Poole)

Should I educate my child other than at school?

Parents may decide to exercise their right to home educate for a variety of reasons.  The following reasons are common but by no means exhaustive:

  • distance or access to a local school
  • religious or cultural beliefs
  • philosophical or ideological views
  • dissatisfaction with the system
  • a child's unwillingness or inability to go to school

Educating your child at home is a major step.  It is a great responsibility and requires a commitment of time, energy, enthusiasm and a recognition of your child's needs, attitudes and aspirations.

What will the Local Authority do?

The Local Authority has an officer who visits families who are educating at home and they will be asked to contact you unless you indicate that you do not wish for this to happen. This could be a visit at your home or other agreed location or an initial telephone conversation. For children who have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health & Care Plan (ECHP) an annual review will be completed by the Local Authority SEN team. This review may replace a visit by the Elective Home Education Officer or be in addition to a visit.  

Do I get any feedback?

Once the Visiting Officer has visited they will write a report detailing what they have seen and a copy of the report will be sent to you. 

Inclusion and Family Services
BCP Council
Dolphin Centre
BH15 1SA
01202 262271
Contact Name
Kirsten Boundy
Contact Position
Employment and Performance Officer
See Journey Planner on right-hand side of this page, where you can view bus, car and train routes from your location.
Area coverage
Times Available:
Monday: 8.30am - 5.15pm
Tuesday: 8.30am - 5.15pm
Wednesday: 8.30am - 5.15pm
Thursday: 8.30am - 5.15pm
Friday: 8.30am - 5.15pm
All Year Round
This Service is Free
Referral Criteria:
Self Referral
Languages Spoken: