From September, all pupils must to return to school unless they or a member of their household is self-isolating. Local authorities and schools will be monitoring attendance to ensure a safe return for all children.
Many will be looking forward to going back, but we understand that some pupils and parents will be concerned. Schools, BCP Council and public health are working closely to ensure that pupils can return safely.
The number of cases of coronavirus in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole remains low, and is much lower than many other areas in England. However, it is important that everyone remains vigilant and continues to follow guidance in order to prevent the spread of the virus.
Thanks to the hard work of schools, pupils and parents, we had no significant incidents or outbreaks associated with schools welcoming back more pupils in the summer term. Schools have implemented safety and hygiene measures to ensure that the risk of transmission is kept to a minimum and there are practiced processes in place to respond to any cases in schools and keep everyone informed about any actions they need to take.
Things to do to help your child return to school safely:
- if possible, walk, cycle or scoot to school. If driving, try parking a short distance away and walking the rest of the way to reduce conjestion and help keep everyone safe
- arrive on time for drop off's and pick up's. Help with social distancing by not lingering at the school gates
- read the school’s website to find out what will be different in September and ensure your child understands the importance of staying safe whilst at school
- support safety measures in school by continuing to follow government guidance outside of school - washing hands frequently and maintaining social distance from anyone not in your household
- don't send your child to school if they are showing any signs or symptoms of Coronavirus, including a new, persistent cough or a high temperature, or a loss of, or change in, their normal sense of taste of smell.
Dorset Healthcare has produced a short video about preparing for the return to school which includes helpful tips on sleep, healthy eating, exercise and self care routines that will help in the run up to the return to school and beyond.
1 September 2020