Information for families in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole

Questions to ask when visiting an activity provider

Are your staff Disclosure and Barring Service checked?

People who work with children and young people should undergo an enhanced check. Find out more about the Disclosure and Barring Service and DBS checks.

Do you have public liability insurance?

Public Liability Insurance covers the activity provider for any damage or injury to anyone else while the provider is caring for your child.

Does your activity cater for children with additional needs?

You can find activity providers that cater for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)by searching the Family Information Directory. The activities section of the SEND Local Offer lists specific activities for children and young people with SEND.

What experience and training have your staff had?

Depending on the activity provider, the level of experience and training may differ. You can get a feel for this when you visit.

Is a qualified first aider present at all times?

Many activity providers will have staff with a first aid qualification.

Will my child have a say in the activities that they take part in?

Many activities will be structured, but there may be an opportunity for your child to have a say in what activities they take part in or how they participate.

Am I able to claim the childcare element of the Working Tax Credit for your activity?

Some activities are run by registered after school and holiday clubs. Others will not be registered with OfstedOfstedOfsted is the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills. It inspects services providing education and skills for learners of all ages. It also inspects and regulates services that care for children and young people., and will not be eligible for Working Tax Credit.

To watch videos on this site, you need to accept YouTube and Video cookies and then refresh the page.