Support for children aged 0-25 with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Support for young people aged 16 and over

Personal independence payment (PIP)

This funding is for those aged 16 or over that have a health condition or disability where you:

  • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
  • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months (unless you’re terminally ill with less than 6 months to live)

Find out more about Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Employment and support allowance

You may get employment and support allowance (ESA) if your illness or disability affects your ability to work.

Find out more about employment and support allowance (ESA)

Working tax credit

Working tax credit has been replaced by universal credit.

You can still make a new claim for working tax credit if you get the severe disability premium.

Find out more about working tax credit

Disabled students’ allowances (DSAs)

Undergraduate or postgraduate students can apply for Disabled Students' Allowances to cover some of the extra costs of study because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

Find out more and apply

Student finance

Student finance lets you borrow money to help pay for University or college. Some students can get a grant if they are disabled.

Find out how to apply for student finance and what you are eligible for

Access to work

This grant is for people with a disability, health or mental health condition. It can help support you to:

  • Start working
  • Stay in work
  • Move into self-employment or start a business

Find out more about access to work grant

Job seekers allowance (JSA)

There are 3 different type of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), which types you can get depends on your circumstances.

Find out more about job seeker’s allowance

Housing benefit

Housing Benefit to help you pay rent has been replaced by universal credit. You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you’re getting the severe disability premium or were entitled to it within the last month.

Find out more about housing benefit

Personal budgets

A personal budget is an amount of money to help children and young people with SEN and/or disabilities.

Find out more about personal budgets.

Childcare funding

There are many funding schemes available to help towards the cost of childcare. You could be eligible for support for children up to 17 years.

Find out about childcare funding.