Support for children aged 0-25 with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

How are school places allocated to children or young people with an EHCP?

The best time to discuss your child’s current, or next school place, is at their EHCP annual review. It is the responsibility of the SEND service to discuss this with you and seek or “consult” with schools for a place.

If your child is moving to Reception, Year 3 or Year 7 there will be a phase transfer process.

The term “phase transfer” applies to those children and young people with an education, health and care plans (EHCPs) who are transferring between various phases of education:

  • early years to school
  • primary school to middle school
  • infant to junior school
  • junior to secondary school
  • middle to secondary school
  • secondary to post 16 education

The SEND statutory services team will send you an initial letter, with a parental preference form. This form is so that you can tell us which school you would like your child to attend the following September.

The SEND service team will then consult with your child’s catchment school(s) and your school preference. They will also liaise with BCP Council's school admissions team to keep them informed of the process.

Once all consultations have taken place,  you will be informed of the school, which will be named in your child’s EHCEHCEducation, Health and Care plan in February, in advance of your child starting their school in September.

If your young person is already attending a post-16 institute and it is proposed that they move from one post-16 institution to another at any time, the Local AuthorityLocal AuthoritySometimes known as the council, a local authority is an organisation that is officially responsible for public services and facilities in a particular area. must review and amend the EHCPEHCPA legal document that describes a child or young person's special educational, health and social care needs. It explains the extra help that will be given to meet those needs and how that help will support the child or young person to achieve what they want to in their life., at least five months before that transfer takes place.

To watch videos on this site, you need to accept YouTube and Video cookies and then refresh the page.