Support for children aged 0-25 with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Money matters - going into hospital

Being in hospital can be difficult. Money and finances may be the last thing on your mind, but if you don't tell certain organisations that you're in hospital, you may have to deal with unpaid bills or other financial issues when you come home.

It may be a good idea to plan with your partner, carer or friend so they know what to do if you have to go into hospital.

You should receive Statutory Sick Pay for the first 28 weeks you are absent from work. If you get benefits, tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and the Council Tax department when you go into hospital.

DisabilityDisabilityA physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term negative effect on an individual’s ability to do normal daily activities. Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment and Attendance Allowance stop if you are in hospital for more than 28 days. Other benefits may also be reduced after being in hospital for a certain time.

If you don’t tell the DWP you're in hospital you may be overpaid benefits. The DWP can ask you to repay an overpayment. This could mean having money taken out of your benefits.

You should carry on paying essential bills, such as rent, mortgage payments, Council Tax, utility bills and insurances. You could do this by setting up direct debits from your bank account.

If you're struggling to pay your bills, speak to a debt advisor to find out what you can do.