Support for children aged 0-25 with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Money and Benefits - Preparing for adulthood

There are many different types of benefits and allowances to help families and young people who have SEND. Most benefits and allowances require the family or young person to be assessed by someone, such as a social worker, a health professional, the Department for Work and Pensions or the Local AuthorityLocal AuthoritySometimes known as the council, a local authority is an organisation that is officially responsible for public services and facilities in a particular area..

Assessments and the associated paperwork and forms can be complex, long and use language that is not familiar to most people.

The information on these pages provide links to helplines, fact sheets, easy read guides and websites that can help if you are thinking of applying or want to understand the benefits and allowances that may be available. 

Useful Websites