Support for children aged 0-25 with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Carers assessments

If you care for someone, you can have an assessment to see what support might be available to make your life easier. This is called a carer's assessment. Anyone over 18 can ask for a carer's assessment.

A carer's assessment is a conversation with a professional about how being a carer affects you and the way you are able to live your life. It's an opportunity to make sure you have all the information you need and a chance to find out about the services and support that could help you in your caring role. It can be done at a time and in a place that suits you (away from the person you are caring for, if you prefer).

A carer's assessment is:

  • free
  • voluntary - you have a right to have an assessment, and it can help you to get support, but it is your choice to say if you want one.
  • recorded - you will be asked to sign the assessment to show you know about, and agree with it. Recording also means the local authority can get back in touch to check if your situation has changed.
  • confidential - it will only be used to work out how you can be supported.
  • free

A carer's assessment is separate from the needs assessment the person you care for might have, but you can ask to have them both done at the same time.

Carers eligibility criteria
How to ask for a carer's assessment

If the person you care for is under 18 and lives in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole contact the Children's First Response MASH on 01202 123334 or email

Those with parental responsibility for a child with disabilities have a right to an assessment of their needs as carers under section 6 of the Carers and Disabled Children Act 2000.

The needs of carers will be considered within a Child and Family Assessment at the time that the request is made for a carers assessment if the Local Authority is satisfied that the child is a person for whom it may provide services under Section 17 Children Act 1989. The Child and Family Assessment is a holistic assessment that takes into account the whole family’s needs and circumstances but primarily focuses on the child’s needs and considers support for parents or carers based on the needs of their child.

If parents or carers require support in their parenting role, due to their own disabilities, a referral will be made to Adult Social Care.

Phone 01202 123654 or email

Related information
Useful Websites