Support for children aged 0-25 with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Pathways to employment for young people with SEND

Having a job brings greater independence and freedom. There are a number of things you can do to work towards getting a job.

Make enquiries about the foundation curriculum which may include independent living skills, volunteering, work experience and progression onto higher level courses.

Students with SENSENSpecial Educational Needs is a term which refers to children who have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. and disabilities who attend mainstream further education college departments may be able to access an employability qualification or work placements with the possibility of additional support, if required.

Other pathways include supported internships, apprenticeships or volunteering opportunities.

If your disability affects your opportunities to work and you are claiming Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), you may be entitled to a range of individualised support accessed through your Jobcentre Plus work coach.

Young people who attend Higher Education may be able to apply for financial support through the Disabled Students’ Allowance.

Careers and learning information and support is available through UP in BCP. The service has 3 Youth Access Points - Poole, Muscliff and Creekmoor.

For more information about learning and training and finding employment for young people with SEND, visit the Preparing for Adulthood section of the Local Offer.

Useful Websites